CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, March 19, 2009

Sorry for the Attitude:(

Well this week has been Spring Break for the kids and it's gone by fast. Tori went to Fiesta Texas today and won't be back til late, I hope she has had a good time!
We've gotten haircuts and this week and even made a drs visit. Yes, Tawni had some kind of bug where she was running a 102 fever, but seems better now. Ok so on a couple of blogs I have read they are talking about if they would take the DS away from their child. And I can't say what I would do, just like if I could go back would I have found out that Tawni had DS and I don't know if I would, all I know is it was and is in God's hands and turned out the way it did for a reason. Things I don't like, is like at the drs. office there was a young mother with her baby and she kept smiling at Tawni and talking to her and all she kept telling me is "she is smart, she is so smart, I can tell she is", and then today we had a special breakfast at McDonald's and Tawni reached for Ty's cup and knocked it to the ground and a man picked it up and put it back on the table and said, "she knows what she wants and goes after it, that's good, that's good, she knows what she wants and does something about it", of course my husband says he thinks they were just trying to say comforting comments to me and I guess I take it the wrong way, just like when people smile at Tawni or say she is so cute, I think do they really think that or are they just saying that because she's the "cute Down's baby", just a bad attitude, right?? I had a good friend tell me the other day, I just need to face reality and accept her for who she is and quit comparing her and wishing for something else. God gave us her for a reason and I need to emabrace it!
Of course I do worry about what she will face in the future but I also worry about what my other kids will face in their future and their not so noticable delays. It's kind of like when people tell me Tawni is such a blessing and she is but so are my other 4 kids! I just wonder sometimes what will I tell her when she asks why she is different? I love Tawni, we all love Tawni so much!

2 comments:

Mara said...

Shelli- I know it is hard but dont read too much into things. Those comments seem perfectly normal for even a child without DS. I would say that a child seems smart or that they know what they want about any child. I think there is a tendancy to be over protective with tawni, cause you are trying to protect her from all the negitive comments- but those really dont seem to be : )I remember when Caitlin was born, I studied everyone who say her to watch their reaction. I was worried that when they said she was a pretty baby if they really meant it and if she was or were they just saying that. Tawni is smart and she does know what she wants- so take the comments and comliements and be proud !

Jeanette said...

Shelli, I TOTALLY know what you are saying. I have found myself thinking the same thing. I have also noticed that my sensitivities mirror where I am at the time. Okay, so for me... hormones play into it... but that might just be me. LOL There are days where I see stares and it REALLY bugs me and other times I don't even notice. As mothers we are mama-bears and we want to protect our kiddos. I have found that I wonder if people are being kind or REALLY think she is adorable. I prefer to think that she is just adorable. I also think that as time goes on, I am more at peace with DS and no I wouldn't change it or take it away. There are some amazing things that come with DS, like the a wonderful love of life and I truly believe in the depths of my soul that Sydney will have a relationship with God that I will never be capable of. The world will not get in her way, so on that note I wouldn't take it away. I will however do whatever is in "my" power to make her life as "typical" as possible. I will give her every advantage I can. Then I will surround her with loving family and friends and put her in God's hands. Hang in there my friend... when the days come where it is overwhelming... that's what your friends are for!